Minneapolis Girls Weekend
Some of you may not know this but I lived in Minneapolis for 2 years and LOVED it! The city is big enough that there's always something fun to do but small enough that you still get the midwest feel. My favorite thing about Minneapolis is that it's so active, with tons of walking/biking trails and 1000s of lakes, everyone is outdoors which is a breath of fresh air (pun intended). The only reason I moved was because I couldn't handle to freezing winters, and that's saying something for a girl who lived in Iowa!
I recently went back for my friend Chelsie's Bachelorette Party, we stayed in a cute lake house in Wayzata, a charming city located about 25min from Downtown Minneapolis. Our idea of a fun girls weekend is one that's laid back and relaxing, no major schedule, just a damn good time! I stayed in Minneapolis for a few extra days so I'll give you the rundown on a how to have a great Girls Trip in Minn!
Where TO STAY
If you're visiting MN in the summer I highly suggest renting a lake house in Wayzata, being on the water is so nice, plus there's plenty of great bars, restaurants, and shopping. Since we were looking for a more laid back trip we spent the majority of our time in Wayzata, only venturing to Downtown Minneapolis once for a fun dinner at Chino Latino and then a night on the town. Keep in mind that since some of the girls lived in the area we had vehicles, and we rented a party bus for the night we went out in Downtown Minneapolis. If you're looking to spend the majority of your stay in Downtown Minneapolis I suggest staying down there and not Wayzata, however I strongly suggest going the Lake House route.
1. Downtown Wayzata Home: We had a large group so this was a great house to accommodate several people. It was perfect, and we were a short walk from Downtown Wayzata which was very convenient!
2. Lakefront Luxury: This modern home has all the bells and whistles including a stunning view of Lake Minnetonka and only a short drive to the bars/restaurants.
Where to Eat
1. The Bachelor Farmer - (This name gives me PTSD of when my family signed me up for FarmersOnly.com) My flight got in super early so I met one of my Minneapolis girlfriends here for some coffee and catching up! The aesthetic is bright and welcoming!
2. Spyhouse Coffee - coolest atmosphere and the best Lavender & Honey latte!
1. The CōV: This is one of my favorite spots, I used to go all the time when I lived in MN and it was voted Best Restaurant on Lake Minnetonka. It was literally around the block from where we rented our Airbnb which was super convenient. The outdoor patio is perfect for large groups when you want to enjoy the nice weather and a fun cocktail!
2. 6Smith: Across the street from CoV and also right on the water with a gorgeous outdoor patio! The Spicy Pecan Pancakes are a must try! (Again, our airbnb was in the best location!)
1. Bluestem Bar: Best Green Curry I've every had!! If for some reason you're not into that though, they've got an extensive menu filled with delicious items. In addition to the great food, the service is friendly and the ambiance is fun. Located inside the French Meadow Bakery & Café, I feel like this place is a hidden gem.
2. Uptown Diner: I frequented this spot many o' late nights , SO GOOD! And equally as good during the day too ;)
3. Blackbird: Located South of Downtown this place has a delicious Brunch Menu, call ahead for reservation.
1. Chino Latino: Another one of my favorites! It's a fusion restaurant with fun cocktails and a party vibe (ask for saki bombs, you won't be disappointed!) This is the perfect dinner spot for a large group. We had roughly 18 girls for a sit down dinner and opted for "The Community Table" dining experience, I HIGHLY suggest doing this. They create a cute menu with either your parties name or weekend hashtag on the top, the menu includes a 4 course meal, no ordering involved, and the food is brought out within minutes of your arrival. You'll also enjoy bottles of champagne and margaritas! All for roughly $50 a person, this is a steal!
2. Union Bar & Grille: Great spot right downtown. I suggest getting dinner reservations for the beautiful enclosed rooftop!
3. Café Lurcat: A more fancy dining experience!
WHERE TO PLAY
1. Lord Fletchers Old Lake Lodge: Half of our group got in on Thursday so we headed to Lord Fletchers that afternoon for some drinks on the water and ended up staying for dinner before heading home. With a huge deck, live music, volleyball courts and great food, this spot is perfect for casual lake life fun!
2. Maynards Wharf: Another great outdoor spot right on Lake Minnetonka, voted best outdoor patio for the past 5 years or so! They have a great happy hour Monday-Friday, and awesome brunch on the weekends.
3. Psycho Suzi's: If you can't tell by the name this tiki bar is always a party! Your drinks come in cute tiki glasses, the food in great and your group will enjoy the large patio seating and round bar. Located in North East Minneapolis, Psycho Suzi's is the spot for bachelorette parties!
3. Uptown: This was my old stomping grounds. If you're looking to be closer to downtown Minneapolis, Uptown has some awesome rooftop bars, restaurants and shopping that you can hop around.
GIRLS NIGHT OUT BARS
1. Seven: This is a swanky steakhouse with a fun rooftop that overlooks the city. Great spot to grab a few cocktails and enjoy the view.
2. Union: I know I already suggested this place for dinner but its just too good to not go to for at least some drinks! The gorgeous enclosed glass rooftop makes it perfect for any weather condition!
3. Uptown Tavern: Located in Uptown this bar has a great craft beer and food. You'll be in walking distance to a lot more night life.
OTHER FUN IDEAS
1. Rent a boat for the day, we rented a pontoon from Howards Point Marina. Unfortunately for us it rained most of the day, but that didn't stop us from getting out on the boat (umbrellas and all)! Howards Point was very accommodating with the crappy weather, they discounted us around 50%, which I thought was awfully nice. The rental price is extremely cheap to begin with, especially when you're splitting it several different ways. In my opinion, this is a must do!
2. Rent Surf & Paddle boards for the afternoon. There are a gazillion lakes, no matter where you stay you'll be able to find rentals.
- Wai Nani Surf & Paddle: This is located steps from the Airbnb we stayed at, the area is beautiful and you can grab lunch or drinks at CoV or 6Smith after!
- Wheel Fun Rentals: Located on Lake Calhoun in Uptown (literally right across from my old apartment), they have the largest selection of kayaks, canoes, stand up paddleboards, bikes and more! When you've finished you can grab a bite to eat or head up W Lake St for more bars, restaurants, and shopping.
3. Check to see what's going on, there are always festivals and events happening!
If you have any questions about your upcoming Girls Trip to Minneapolis, let me know in the comments below!